Computer Emergency Response Team has issued a technical paper, warning users against a latest Android virus that is out on the internet. Named as Android/SmsSend, this virus attacks Android smart phones and access personal data as well as sensitive data such as passwords, Account number. Read below to know more about this Android mobile virus.
What is Android/SmsSend?
Android/SmsSend is a latest detected Trojan virus that harms Android smartphones.
What does this Mobile Virus do?
Once it enters an Android phone or any Android device, the virus can do the following malicious and harmful activities:
1.) Automatically sends text messages to numbers on the target’s contact list. These messages most likely have a link to download the virus itself, or to other dangers.
2.) Sends text messages to first-class rate numbers that can lead to huge telephone bills.
3.) Steals basic data of the infected device like the:
- IMEI number
- Device type
- Device ID
4.) Android/SmsSend is also proficient of installing spyware on the target device, which in turn, can spy on what the user access on their phone.
5.) The virus can also steal vital data such as:
- Banking information
6.) The functionality level of this virus goes up to a stage where it can also track the device’s location, view text messages, run into the affected device, and even stop any firewall safety.
How does Android/SmsSend Spread?
The main source of this Android virus is unofficial, third party app stores.
What should you do to avoid this Virus?
- Download mobile apps only from reliable, official App stores such as Google Play.
- Always look for permissions before installing an app. For example, if a Flash Light app asks for your authority to use Internet or access your contacts or media, then avoid downloading it.
- Do not click on attached links received from unknown and unexpected emails.
- Avoid clicking on links in text messages from unknown senders. Even if the link seems to have sent by someone you know, check it first before working on it.
- Get a trustworthy mobile security app that does real-time virus scan as soon as an application is installed on a mobile. Go for the Computer Optimizer as it is reliable and trustworthy security software.
- Use the device encryption facility that is available in Android versions. Encrypting your device will stop a hacker from misusing your information even if they get access to it.
- Never log on to any website while using unsecured, free and public Wi-Fi networks.
- Daily back up your device’s important details, files and documents.